Captioning Services for Departments

The University of Illinois CAM includes the Policy on Multimedia Accessibility. Please take a moment to read the policy and feel free to share with us any questions you may have. Accessible Media Services (AMS) is available to assist you with video captioning.

How do I get media captioned by AMS?

  • Check if the library owns a copy of the video already captioned. AMS does not caption videos the library already has available with captioning.
  • If the library owns the video but it is not captioned, let us know and we will have them sent to us for captioning.
  • Then check out from library as usual
  • If there library does not have a copy of the video, fill out a Department Captioning Request
  • Non-Student AMS rates can be found on the DRES Billing (Non-Student) page.

AMS processes materials for DRES-students first, and then we will work on non-DRES-student material. Material is processed on a first come, first serve basis.

To know an approximate processing time, please contact Ann Fredricksen at

What about copyright?

  • For non-DRES-student material, AMS is not responsible for gaining copyright approval to caption the material.
  • If you submit a video by using this form, you are agreeing that either you, your department, or the University owns copyright or you have obtained permission for us to caption and digitize your material.
  • You can contact AMS or review the University's copyright policy for assistance in requesting and obtaining copyright
  • Videos taped personally from your television cannot be captioned due to copyright restrictions.
    • If the library does not own a copy, request that they purchase one
      • Once purchased by the library they can loan it to you
    • If the library purchases a copy that is not captioned
      • The library will send it to AMS for captioning
  • If you personally own the video and would like for AMS to caption it, assuming the above scenarios do not apply, and the video was purchased with a public performance/education license, we can caption it once you obtain permission from the copyright holder.

Copyright approval from the copyright holders must be obtained by AMS before captioning a video. This process can take 6-8 weeks. We use standards put forth in the DCMP’s Captioning Key.

If you created a video yourself and it contains commercial material including music, copyright approval MUST be obtained for these too, unless the material falls under     . 
Staff members in AMS are not lawyers and cannot provide legal advice on whether or not something falls under fair use, you can use the Fair Use Evaluator  hosted by the American Library Association or contact Legal Counsel.

What does it cost to have something captioned?

DRES will bill on a monthly basis for media that has been completely processed. For captioning rates please visit: DRES Billing (Non-Student) page.

Can I caption my own videos?

You may also caption your own videos. You can schedule an appointment with our office and we would be happy to talk you through your options. You may also participate in the free online DIY closed captioning course. Follow this link to register for the DIY Captioning Course